There are not a lot of textbooks available for learning Czech and those that do exist are frequently expensive, outdated, and often do not meet the needs of our students. Enter Reality Czech, the next generation of Czech textbooks currently under development by Dr. Christian Hilchey from the Department of Slavic and Eurasian Studies in collaboration with the Center for Open Educational Resources and Language Learning (COERLL) at the University of Texas at Austin.
All materials will be freely available online under a Creative Commons license to any university or individuals who wish to use them.
The following materials are currently being created:
- Vocabulary lists with both audio and visual representations
- Cultural Units
- Grammar Explanations
- Interactive self-correcting exercises
- Audio recordings and listening tasks
- Video interviews with native speakers and students of Czech
- Video interviews with native speakers of Czech
- Czech cultural videos
There are currently two upcoming releases:
- February 2018 – Reality Czech Interview Videos – a collection of 244 video compilations of native speakers of Czech answering everyday questions, on topics such as their food habits, daily activities, weather, health, hobbies, studies, relationships, and more. Each video focuses on a single question, e.g. – “What kind of food do you like?” or “How often do you travel?” with unscripted answers from native speakers. For every question, two videos have been prepared – one featuring responses at the Novice/Intermediate level, and one featuring responses at the Intermediate/Advanced level. All videos will include a full transcript of the text.
- Summer 2018 – In class Activity Book, Online Grammar and Cultural Units, and Printable Homework Exercises will be made available through the course website. Please check back in Summer 2018.